» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 641

0 members and 641 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which player inspires you the most?

Which professional player inspires you the most?
    I'm just curious to see the different answers everyone has.. or if anyone is inspired by the same player I am..
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

I patterned my initial game after Ivan Lendl but soon became an exclusive offensive baseline player after studying Agassi's style of play. I admired his tactics in making his opponents run side to side until he got the opening he was waiting for. Andre seemed to take control of the point right from his return of serve or serve. So I would say for me, it was Andre Agassi

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Fernando Verdasco. Aggressive forehands from the baseline; a great attitude - gives 100% every point; never charges the net without a good reason (unlike most).

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Fernando Verdasco. Aggressive forehands from the baseline; a great attitude - gives 100% every point; never charges the net without a good reason (unlike most).
    Hmm.. yeah, Verdasco is defineatly in my top three.. but not number one.
    And yes he has a terrific attitude towards the game. and his australian open '09' rivalry with Nadal was definitely a great inspiration [from both sides].
    -Tupac Shakur

Problem is, he can't seem to win when it counts. We can agree that he certainly has the game to beat the best but he has one major flaw to his game.

That flaw is, he chokes on the big points, puts way too much pressure on himself to perform. Once again the media is the culprit and you would think after you've been in the Pros long enough, you'd get over or ignore what you hear or read from the commentators however I feel Verdasco tries to live up to what the pundits claim he should be doing rather than what he's doing.

In other words, the media wants nothing more than to see an upset. That's what makes tennis exciting to them because it gives them something to discuss & report. But Verdasco isn't quite ready to dominate Rafa Nadal just yet especially on Clay. He's good enough to give Rafa a good battle but still Rafa at this moment will come out on top. When you examine Fernando's game, you can easily see he patterns his approach as Rafa does. Problem is, Rafa just does it better. I'm not trying to put down your pick(s) and if he inspires you, then that's all that matters but instead of viewing a match with Verdasco, really pay attention to how he puts points together. Take note of the openings that he tends to not take advantage of.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Problem is, he can't seem to win when it counts. We can agree that he certainly has the game to beat the best but he has one major flaw to his game.

That flaw is, he chokes on the big points, puts way too much pressure on himself to perform. Once again the media is the culprit and you would think after you've been in the Pros long enough, you'd get over or ignore what you hear or read from the commentators however I feel Verdasco tries to live up to what the pundits claim he should be doing rather than what he's doing.

In other words, the media wants nothing more than to see an upset. That's what makes tennis exciting to them because it gives them something to discuss & report. But Verdasco isn't quite ready to dominate Rafa Nadal just yet especially on Clay. He's good enough to give Rafa a good battle but still Rafa at this moment will come out on top. When you examine Fernando's game, you can easily see he patterns his approach as Rafa does. Problem is, Rafa just does it better. I'm not trying to put down your pick(s) and if he inspires you, then that's all that matters but instead of viewing a match with Verdasco, really pay attention to how he puts points together. Take note of the openings that he tends to not take advantage of.

i certainly won't argue that Verdasco should be world number one. i just love his game. imho, Nadal has a boring forehand compared to Verdasco. however, Fernando's forehand is a double-edged sword - it gets him in and out of trouble. but that's a big reason he inspires me. he goes for his shots. so many players on tour, including many top 10 ranked players, are passive in a rally. one exception would be Roger Federer. Fernando doesnt have to win a major in order to inspire me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Hmm.. yeah, Verdasco is defineatly in my top three.. but not number one.
    And yes he has a terrific attitude towards the game. and his australian open '09' rivalry with Nadal was definitely a great inspiration [from both sides].
    let me guess who inspires you: Andy Murray or Andy Roddick. and on the women's side i'm going to guess Daniela Hantuchova.

Del Potro !

let me guess who inspires you: Andy Murray or Andy Roddick. and on the women's side i'm going to guess Daniela Hantuchova.
    Mate,
    You are way, way, way, way, way off (=
    I hate Murray with a great passion. He is my worst male player.
    And Daniela Hatuchova.. well, nope. I like her but as a player I wouldn't really label her inspiring.
    For me the top 3 most inspiring are:
    MENS:
    1. Rafael Nadal
    2. Jo Wilfred Tsonga
    3. Fernando Verdasco
    FEMALES:
    1. Caroline Wozniacki
    2. Stacey Stosur
    3. -Undecided-
    -Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I agree with you. He is a male form of Dinara Safina, who is a great player [Her world number one ranking makes this a bit obvious] but when it comes to the finals.. she always seems to lose.
    -Tupac Shakur

Female player would have to be Ana Ivanovic. Male player would have to be Rafael Nadal, he just never gives up and always tries his best.

Thomas Muster and Jim Courier baby! women: Steffi Graf. The problem with Verdasco and Safina is fear. They can't get it out of their systems. They try to do more than they are capable of in the big matches instead of playing the points out. Do you notice that when they have off days, the points are quick and aren't put together as a normal day? That is because their minds are racing and they aren't focusing well. They get analysis paralysis and then they try to hit their way out of the situation. On days when you are afraid, it is better to play the heavy topspin shots and keep the rallies going until you are comfortable and then you can start going for your shots more and more. Those two go out there and play as though they have twenty minutes to get to the bus before it leaves. Especially Safina.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Mate,
    You are way, way, way, way, way off (=
    I hate Murray with a great passion. He is my worst male player.
    And Daniela Hatuchova.. well, nope. I like her but as a player I wouldn't really label her inspiring.
    For me the top 3 most inspiring are:
    MENS:
    1. Rafael Nadal
    2. Jo Wilfred Tsonga
    3. Fernando Verdasco
    FEMALES:
    1. Caroline Wozniacki
    2. Stacey Stosur
    3. -Undecided-
    Nadal, Murray.. same difference

Nadal, Murray.. same difference
    Lollies (: true that, but..
    I find Murray a lot more aggressive and annoying. He's not a sportsman nor a gentlemen. He annoys me soo much..
    Then, there is.. NADAL!
    Nadal is so sweet and such a gentlemen and sportsmen. He's such a great player too.. I think he is a lot better then Murray.
    -Tupac Shakur

Nadal is quite the gentleman; always humble. probably a big reason he can win so often. what do you think of Novak Djokovic?