» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 540

0 members and 540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

stencil and ink? pros and cons?

Hi everybody, I'm new here...my question has to do with using stencils/ink to put logos on my raquets. I'm considering doing it but are there any drawbacks that you guys personally know of?

I've heard that sometimes the ink comes off on the ball or if it is oil-based ink, it can damage the strings. Does anybody find problems with stencils and ink?

Thanks to all those who respond.
    Last edited by mistadobalina; 06-28-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Stencils

I just came across a site that sells custom tennis racquet stencils. Pretty cool site. The address is www.RacquetArt.com. I'm going to either order a smiley face from them or have them make a custom one for me. Any suggestions. Check it out and let me know which you like best.

www.racquetart.com

Quote Originally Posted by mistadobalina View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm new here...my question has to do with using stencils/ink to put logos on my raquets. I'm considering doing it but are there any drawbacks that you guys personally know of?

I've heard that sometimes the ink comes off on the ball or if it is oil-based ink, it can damage the strings. Does anybody find problems with stencils and ink?

Thanks to all those who respond.
    There is no issue with stencils what so ever. They will dirty up the ball a bit, especially if you hit tremendous topspin, but that is the one and only drawback. Head used to send me 12 racquets a year when i was on tour and if I didn't have the stencil on them when I was playing, they made sure I knew to put it on immediately or else. Same with Volkl. So, if all those pros have stencils (except for the non-sponsored ones) you can too with absolutely no worries. (Let it dry good so that the ink stays on the strings and doesn't get on the balls too much) 20 minutes is fine. Hope that helps......(oh yes, it does not effect the strings the least bit either.)

One draw back is that you'll get lots of attention from awesome female players.
    Oh wait...

Humm I just get a sharpie and "paint" my stencil on the strings, takes a while even tho its just the 2 stripes for my Pure Storm, I dont think it comes off on the ball but it does come off. It's easy and it works, so if you have the drawing skills to "paint" the HEAD arrow, go for it:-)

I've never used the stencils and ink before. How do you apply the ink? Is it a spray or do you have to paint it on?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    I've never used the stencils and ink before. How do you apply the ink? Is it a spray or do you have to paint it on?
    It comes in a small bottle with a felt top that is the size of a nickel. It allows the ink to slowly come out and you rub it on your strings. The felt keeps it from going everywhere. I've had to use the stuff for years because of sponsorships that required me to use them. You have to keep the bottle double bagged in sealable ziplock bags though because if you stick it in your bag and the top comes off, Lord help you. I had that happen. Ink everywhere and Head had to send me a completely new bag along with 7 racquets as everything was ruined. Ziplocks keep that from happening. Let it be known............