» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 551

0 members and 551 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: Who do you think will end as #1?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rafa if Federer doesn't play the Master's Series

0 0%
  • Federer if he decides to play the Series

1 12.50%
  • Rafa even if Federer does play

7 87.50%

Thumbs up What Should Roger do ? You Tell me

Ok here's the deal, Rafael Nadal has approx. 7100pts leading into the Year-Ending Masters, whereas Roger Federer has about 5800pts and just to add a little spice into the batter Novak Djokovic has around 4575pts still hanging at #3.

So the guys are dueling it out while Rafa sits comfortably at the top and this is where Mr. FedEx needs to question the commitment he needs to muster in order to end the year at #1. The only way Roger could is for Federer to win just about every Year-Ending Tournament while at the same time Rafa loses early in at least 3 Tournaments which we all know isn't likely. Now should Rafa only make it to nothing closer than the Semis while Roger hoist the Trophy in at least three Tourneys. Should that be the case, then Roger will in fact over-take Nadal and improve his History chasing Profile to 7 years ending as #1 in the World, which is still one behind Pete Sampras. Yeah Pete is more amazing than many of us seem to realize. And I still contend that should Sampras decide to mount a semi-comeback, He would still be considered a Contender in Tournaments such as Wimbledon & The US Open.

Now should Federer decide it's way to difficult and unrealistic to work that hard so he could grab #1 from the clutches of Rafa's hands. Unrealistic is absolutely true because we are talking about Rafael Nadal and the thought of him not gaining any year-ending titles is as far fetched as one could imagine (imo).

AND before I pop the question, we throw in yet another twist & turn to this saga. Should Federer decide to skip most of the Year-Ending Tourneys, while Rafa & Joko will march forth compiling more points and it is possible that Should DJokovic do very well between now and Christmas, he could slip into the #2 Spot pushing Roger down to #3 which would be nothing less than a damn shame as I see it.

So, should Roger Federer skip the grind of the YET (year-ending-tournaments) knowing he still won't make #1 regardless and save his strength & energy for the start of 2009 ensuring a victory in Jan. or should Roger play play play because you never know what can happen in this wonderful game?
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Play, play, play!
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Fed needs only to learn to hit out on his high backhand return of serve against Nadal.
    When Nadal serves there, it's a no risk, easy start of the point, which favors Nada''s heavy topspins.
    When Fed serves to Nadal, he has no rest or easy pickings.

Federer ! why not retire now and enjoy your millions !

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    Federer ! why not retire now and enjoy your millions !
    Ha ha ha - that was funny Harwin. Roger will no doubt tie Pete's GS Record and I believe he will do it at Wimbledon this year even if Nadal is on the opposite side and with that win it should propel him to another victory at Flushing which he will then break Pete's record. Then he can retire because there are no other records he can break other than to tie Agassi winning on all four surfaces.

If Roger doesn't beat Nadal at Wimbledon this year, you will be correct, he needs to step away but Nadal needs Roger more than Roger needs Nadal.

Djokovic isn't going to keep Nadal sharp like Federer can.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Coach or Go Solo

I was reading on another tennis site a big debate after the Aussie final about what Fed should do now. Many people said he needs to break down and get a coach - the names Brad Gilbert, Gil Reyes and Oscar Wegner came up. I think Fed has everything he needs already; he might need someone besides Mirka to remind him of it though. He has handled his rise to superstardom so gracefully up to this point, I hope he has it in him to continue the class act, whatever the final outcome of his career. The spotlight fades on every iconic player eventually and fans must watch as their favorites recede as younger players take their place. I don't know that Federer's time in the sun has run out quite yet, but his career has certainly entered a new phase, and how he handles himself from here forward will be amazing to watch.

Roger must to work (a lot) about his backhand. Then maybe… His forehand is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused View Post
    I was reading on another tennis site a big debate after the Aussie final about what Fed should do now. Many people said he needs to break down and get a coach - the names Brad Gilbert, Gil Reyes and Oscar Wegner came up. I think Fed has everything he needs already; he might need someone besides Mirka to remind him of it though. He has handled his rise to superstardom so gracefully up to this point, I hope he has it in him to continue the class act, whatever the final outcome of his career. The spotlight fades on every iconic player eventually and fans must watch as their favorites recede as younger players take their place. I don't know that Federer's time in the sun has run out quite yet, but his career has certainly entered a new phase, and how he handles himself from here forward will be amazing to watch.
    Very wise words and I find myself agreeing with just about every part of your Post. Some of my kids love talking about the Federer / Nadal rivalry and I enjoy it as well. So this is what they came up with.

One kid suggest that Roger hasn't gotten over his beating at Wimbledon and has lost all confidence when playing Nadal because he is throwing everything he has at Nadal that is more than good enough to beat everyone else and not getting the job done, so Nadal is in Roger's head.

Interestingly, it still only comes down to a big point here and there that is making the difference between winning or losing for Roger. My assessment is, Roger is pulling back far more than he is accustomed to when playing Nadal now. Rafael is making Roger play more shots than he's normally use to and having to come up with bigger & bigger shots just to win a point.

Gil Reyes as a Fitness Coach is never a bad idea and if I were part of Federer's Management Team, that's all I would introduce at this time. Suggesting to the Former Dominant Player in the World that he needs someone to coach a game that is almost perfection, is silly actually. There's very little that goes wring with Roger's approach to the game.

But Roger has enjoyed success for too long and is now playing Tennis like a White Collar Tennis Player while Rafael Nadal is playing Tennis much like a Blue Collar Player. It reminds me of the Rocky Movies where some of his Opponents train in these elaborate stylish centers with the latest high tech equipment, while their Entourage sits and watches while working on their Blackberries, making Stock Trades and making plans for dinner in Paris and at the same time, Nadal although now very wealthy indeed, only has a few people still paying strict attention to his every shot and Rafa is still picking up his own balls after practice, where he goes for a run and Roger is on the Treadmill.

Roger must advance to the Wimbledon Finals this year and if the God's are favorable, Nadal must get there as well and I firmly believe all is riding on this because if Nadal should once again beat Roger at Wimbledon, I fear that will be a bad scene for Roger's future.

Coach

He should work out like hell. Most important reason Nadal is better is because he is so much more fitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    He should work out like hell. Most important reason Nadal is better is because he is so much more fitt.

1st & Foremost I must say that I believe I might have missed greeting you upon your initial joining and I don't like that one bit. So if I did miss your initial Post announcing your Membership, please allow me to personally welcome you and thank you for becoming a part of our Community

2nd of all the Members, I believe you are the 1st that I can recall that has some animation in their Avatar. Actually, most don't even have an Avatar and I miss that so Thanks for doing that .. excellent

3rd to your point, do you really think fitness is the reason Federer is being dominated by Nadal ? I just don't see that as the reason or even a contributing factor as to why Federer is losing the battle between the two.

No my friend, I believe it's totally & completely a confidence issue with Federer at this point. As I see it, Roger is throwing everything he has at Rafael Nadal and it's still not good enough. When Nadal has proven to beat him on his best surface (Grass) that is punch in the gut for Roger. It's like when Andre Agassi played what can arguably be considered the best Set of Tennis Agassi ever played against anybody in the finals of the US Open and couldn't chink the armor of Federer. I never saw such power of precision coming off the racquet of Agassi but he could not sustain that level of play and for Roger, he was determined to show Andre that it was a changing of the Guard so to speak.

Respectfully, Federer was demonstrating to Agassi that it's his time now and he had the weapons to prove it. Well Nadal is doing the same to Federer. After Nadal won Wimbledon, he sent a very loud message to Roger that court speed along with endurance plays to his advantage.

I don't see Federer beating Nadal on Clay ever and unless Roger can regain his dominance on Grass, it will be Nadal not Federer who may go down in history as the Best that has ever played this Game.

After Indian Wells

INTERESTING THREAD! When Federer hired Cahill I thought it was all over. However, per the article below it seems Roger may still be looking:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/...rts/TENNIS.php

After his disappointing defeat in the semis at Indian Wells it seems something is definitely different. Whether it is mental or physical or both, Roger apparently needs another set of eyes to help him find the ball better than he has been lately. I also noticed during the semi-final match against Murray that Mirka's eyes were not on Roger as usual...
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Hi Coach, thanks for welcoming me and for your compliment about my avator . I don't think you can argue that Rafa isn't much more fit? Of course it is a factor now that Roger has lost so many times in the future matches but I really am convinced that the first reason that he lost all his matches is because Rafa simply has much more will to train harder in the fitness and also on the court. Roger Federer is compared with Rafael Nadal laisy laisy and laisy. Also compared too other players on the tour but he could beat them because of his enormous talent. He should just see that he now has a challenger who forces him to work harder too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    Hi Coach, thanks for welcoming me and for your compliment about my avator . I don't think you can argue that Rafa isn't much more fit? Of course it is a factor now that Roger has lost so many times in the future matches but I really am convinced that the first reason that he lost all his matches is because Rafa simply has much more will to train harder in the fitness and also on the court. Roger Federer is compared with Rafael Nadal laisy laisy and laisy. Also compared too other players on the tour but he could beat them because of his enormous talent. He should just see that he now has a challenger who forces him to work harder too!!
    #1 Rafael Nadal vs #2 Roger Federer - Head to Head

I am very sorry my new friend but hard as I might try, I still can not agree that conditioning is a contributing factor in Roger's losses to Nadal.

I watch the recordings of their matches to analyze the play by play. Everytime they play each other, I get a ton of questions from my kids the next day or next time we get together on what were the key factors to the match. Never once have I contributed Roger's loss to attrition. Some claimed Roger was ill during the Wimbledon Finals which was the reason he lost but I think that was more of his Fans searching for an answer to what they thought was an unlikely result.

Try as you will, I must stick with frustration, lack of confidence, failure to execute an effective game plan and failure to make necessary adjustments when things aren't working.

Bringing in a fresh set of eyes to help sculpt his game may be what's needed because it's clear to everyone now that what Roger does isn't good enough against Nadal anymore.

I will say this, it is clear that Nadal is working very hard on improving all around whereas it appears to me Roger is still banking on what got him to where he is to be enough. I think Roger feels his losses were the results of a crucial point here or there that made the difference and all he has to do is work harder at winning the bigger points and that should do it. But they are 6-13 and most of the 6 Matches Roger won were years ago. Nadal is looking beyond Federer at this point. Nadal no longer see Roger as the Goal he must achieve, I believe winning the US Open is his goal regardless of who's on the other side of the Net and I personally think, he's going to do it and it's probably going to be this year.