» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How Do I Get Better?

Hey this is nextFederer and i was just wondering what I could do to get better without spending a lot of money. I will be number 1 on my team next year even though I am a new player and would like to be able to compete well with others in my city of Modesto, California and maybe even be the best.
    So what can I do? Is there anyway I can get a local coach to work with me a lot? I would really appreciate the help anyone can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by nextFederer View Post
    Hey this is nextFederer and i was just wondering what I could do to get better without spending a lot of money. I will be number 1 on my team next year even though I am a new player and would like to be able to compete well with others in my city of Modesto, California and maybe even be the best.
    So what can I do? Is there anyway I can get a local coach to work with me a lot? I would really appreciate the help anyone can give me.
    there's no substitute for practice. the quickest way to become better is to play against those better than you every chance you get. that's all i have.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 05-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextFederer View Post
    Greetings next Federer ~

Welcome to our Community ... I should tell you that I know Modesto very well indeed having grown up in Calif. and having had a housemate for several years that was raised in Modesto.

Our Friend Lawn Tennis (LT) is correct in stating that practice is crucial however I should point out that you must be careful at what you practice. Until I was shown the correct way of doing something, I played Tennis using bad form for a couple of years. When a good person I knew showed me the correct way of performing some of the strokes I had, it changed my game substantially.

So given we don't know where you are on the Skill Level, it would be difficult for us to say merely practice. So here's what I would suggest, if you can afford a Coach then use that to gain the necessary skills of tennis. If money is tight, you might wish to see if the Local Public Parks have summer programs where you will share Coaching with others that are trying to learn the game. This can be a good way to start as well because from this you can at least get a handle on the basics and build from there.

There are a number of Videos available Online in places such as YouTube and on The Tennis Channel Website that show very good technique although I have noticed many of their Videos tend to contradict each other from one Coach to another. Point is, two different Coaches well demonstrate a certain technique. I suggest you try them and determine which you like better and/or which you get the best results from.

Find Players that may be a little more advanced than you are and ask if they would mind hitting with you. You may find it hard to find someone that wants to play with someone that isn't on their level however if you do, you will discover playing with someone who is better will make you better.

Lastly I will suggest you find a Wall to hit against to drill you strokes whenever you are alone. You can enjoy a number of drills from working against a Wall. Aside from the obvious forehand & backhand strokes, if you stand close to the wall, you can work on Volleys by keeping the ball in the air, not letting it touch the ground.

These are just a few ideas that will improve your ability and when LT says, "Practice" He's saying this is something you must dedicate yourself to in order to improve.

Good Luck and again Welcome to TennisW.Com

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Now why didn't I think of that. I use Tennis Channel's One Minute Clinics all the time. Also, the Coach has reminded me -- try video recording with a digital camera or other device yourself from different angles. I've found countless areas especially the serve that have improved. It's fun to watch too.