» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 678

0 members and 678 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    to add to this, is it bad to play table tennis before tennis?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Coach, that kind of reminds me of your take on racquet ball and it's effect on one's tennis. Didn't you say something like if I had never played racquet ball, my strokes would be more sound? Moreover, are you suggesting that I not play table tennis on rainy days?
    Hi LT ~

Nope you must be thinking of someone else because I played RB before I started playing Tennis and the conversion was hell. I would never recommend racquetball prior to tennis.

Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Hi LT ~

Nope you must be thinking of someone else because I played RB before I started playing Tennis and the conversion was hell. I would never recommend racquetball prior to tennis.

Coach

Okay. I meant that racquetball strokes were so different from tennis strokes and that it hindered your tennis game or made your tennis strokes less sound. bad wording on my part.

Okay. I meant that racquetball strokes were so different from tennis strokes and that it hindered your tennis game or made your tennis strokes less sound. bad wording on my part.

No problem my friend ... hey where is everybody? check your pm

I did check my pm and still couldn't find everybody. They come and go as usual I suppose.

Coach, how do you feel playing baseball would effect one's tennis?

Coach, how do you feel playing baseball would effect one's tennis?
    When you think about it, any Sport that requires increased leg & foot movement has to be good for Tennis. Many Pros play Soccer for obvious reasons and when you break down Basketball, you see many of the essential elements like leg & foot movement that go into playing the game successfully are absolutely necessary for playing Tennis.

Games that require exaggerated wrist movement are less ideal for Tennis unless you are an extremely experienced player that utilizes a snapping on the ball like Rafa does. But for the most part, keeping your forearm to wrist stiff on ball contact right up to the follow-through is the name of this game.

Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    When you think about it, any Sport that requires increased leg & foot movement has to be good for Tennis. Many Pros play Soccer for obvious reasons and when you break down Basketball, you see many of the essential elements like leg & foot movement that go into playing the game successfully are absolutely necessary for playing Tennis.

Games that require exaggerated wrist movement are less ideal for Tennis unless you are an extremely experienced player that utilizes a snapping on the ball like Rafa does. But for the most part, keeping your forearm to wrist stiff on ball contact right up to the follow-through is the name of this game.

Coach

It would be helpful if I learned a bit of soccer as my footwork can get cumbersome. On the contrary, the wrist shot in hockey could spell problems.

What about badminton?

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    What about badminton?
    I'd say the real benefit of table tennis is it's really easy to learn the spin from it. The smash is the only shot truly similar in both tennis and badminton.

Very Interesting topic. People have mentioned hand eye co-ordination the most apart from wristwork. I think agility and reflexes could also improve to some extent and maybe footwork(though obviously not as much as badminton) if one tries consicously.

Somoebody has mentioned that Tennis is Table Tennis on a bigger table(scale). For people who cannot mix good shots with placement and consistency, maybe TT drills could be simulated to be eventually used in Tennis. Any thoughts?

Of course, the shots are different, but strategy can be used successfully in both tennis and table tennis.
    Hit to weaker side, keep it low so they can't smash, move them around if they lack mobility, hit right at them if they can't get out of the way (righties right side about a foot).
    Defensive slices to control bounce and depth, topspin smashes to keep the ball within the table, all are interchangeable.
    Reflex training is OK, but only if you do service line exchanges in tennis.
    Still gotta play tennis to be able to play tennis. No substitute for that.