» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 531

0 members and 531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Being a tennis Coach?

I was wondering if there are any tennis coaches out there who can post and give me some insight into their job. Please tell me the details and explain what you do everyday. Do you enjoy your job? Would you still become a tennis teacher if you could do life over again? Any post are appreciated, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gugafan05 View Post
    I was wondering if there are any tennis coaches out there who can post and give me some insight into their job. Please tell me the details and explain what you do everyday. Do you enjoy your job? Would you still become a tennis teacher if you could do life over again? Any post are appreciated, Thanks.
    As a former high school tennis coach of 28 seasons, (boys and girls) I can tell you it is the best experience for becoming a better instructor. The ability to work with kids for 4 years, usually, and seeing their progression is rewarding. You usually get attached to many of the players and end up staying in touch with several over the years. (They usually show their appreciation after they graduate and discover what a benefit it was to have you as a coach!)

I now own a tennis academy and am the author of the book TENNIS MASTERY. Combined with my speaking and lecturing at various USPTA conventions and listening to other pros, my coaching career helped me formulate the Advanced Foundation, the cornerstone of my book.

In 2007 I will release my second book, COACHING MASTERY, a book someone like you might be very interested in. It will deal with coaching team tennis, teaching at a club, and parents who want to train their kids in tennis but don't know where to start and how to progress. It will deal with training large groups of players, how to attract large numbers of players to a team or a club, and how to retain such numbers...all while becoming the best team/club/group of players.

Hope this is helpful!
    Dave Smith
    Senior Editor, TennisOne.com
    Dunlop Master Professional
    USPTA P-1
    Former Board Member USPTA Intermountain
    Owner, St. George Tennis Academy
    Author, TENNIS MASTERY, COACHING MASTERY
    Co-Author, HIDDEN MICKEY (A Walt Disney Mystery)
    www.tennismastery.net
    www.tennisone.com
    www.coaching-mastery.com
    www.hiddenmickeybook.com
    www.synergy-books.com

A tennis coach is someone who enjoys being on the court every day, someone who welcomes new challenges and who is a good problem solver.
    Not only that... a coach is above all a "people's person". To teach tennis is not only about correcting and teaching strokes, it is about giving your students a good experience while learning.
    I see myself as someone who makes a difference in my students' life: I am a mentor, a role model, a reflection of what tennis can do to the people (hopefully a positive one).
    If I would describe how every day looks for me...
    - when I am in front of my students, all the problems are gone - I am happy to see my student (smile and make your student feel like you are really happy to see them).
    - listen and pay attention not only to what he/she needs to work on during the lesson with you, but how he/she feels and what her/his mood is.
    - teach according to how much he/she is open to learn that particular day.
    - never, ever wear sunglasses when you talk with your students.
    - greet my students first - when they come on the court and when they leave.
    These are the qualities that work for me as a coach and I tried to transmit them through the work I put in the two sites that I have developed: WebTennis24.com and WebTennisDrills.com.
    They are the reflection of my personality and what I see the tennis players and coaches look for.

All the best,

Cosmin Miholca
    www.WebTennis24.com
    www.WebTennisDrills.com

Hey Guys

I agree with Dave. Seeing your students master the game of tennis is priceless. Especially after working with specific students for years, you really are invested and seeing them blossom on the court is rewarding. I highly recommend becoming a tennis instructor, give it a try and you will be amazed with how much you love it.

If you have any questions let me know

Tom
    Tom Grupa, CEO Lessons.com
    Looking to improve your Tennis skills?
    We have over 400 tennis instructors for private Tennis Lessons on Lessons.com